How You Can Help
There are several ways you can help Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing.
- You can make a donation of cash here on our website in the “Make a Donation” section, or by mailing a check to PO Box 695, La Plata, MD 20677. You will receive a donation acknowledgment letter.
- If you have used fly fishing equipment or materials that you would like to donate, you can contact the Regional Coordinator for your area via our website in the “Contact Us” section. Your Regional Coordinator will be able to put you in touch with the program closest to you or one in need of your equipment.
- You can become a volunteer. Here again you would contact the Regional Coordinator for your area via our website to get in touch with the program closest to you.
- If there isn’t a program in your area, start one. There are some very basic steps to this, which are outlined in the next section.
- If there is no club, military or VA hospital in your area, you could organize a fundraiser. We can provide support for that too.
Starting a Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing Program
We’ll help you through the start-up process and beyond, but here are the basic steps involved in starting a program.
- Contact the Regional Coordinator for your area who will provide you with the Program Guide and other documents related to getting started, as well as contact information, support and advice. A list of Regional Coordinators is available on the “Contact Us” page.
- Confirm that your fishing club is willing to supply the volunteers.
- Sign the Memorandum of Agreement to become part of the national organization.
- Educate yourselves about Project Healing Waters so that you can make an effective presentation to the military or VA hospital/facility in your area.
- Once they agree to host it, you next recruit participants and agree on a mutually acceptable schedule of classes and events.
Why join Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing?
It’s true that any group of fly fishermen or women can volunteer at a military or VA hospital and do good deeds. However, there are some distinct advantages to becoming a part of Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing, Inc.:
- A great deal of publicity and name recognition. This really helps getting into a facility and with local fundraising and publicity.
- Great discounts from sponsoring companies. Orvis, Temple Fork Outfitters, Umpqua, Hook and Hackle, and others have given us very generous discounts on equipment and materials.
- National fundraising. Despite the current economy, our fundraising has been very successful. This enables us to continue to expand our reach to more of the wounded and disabled.
- Financial support for local programs. Our successful national fundraising permits us to provide financial support for each local program. This isn’t unlimited, but it does help, particularly when coupled with the generous discounts available to us.
- National destination trips. Every year, PHW has more than a dozen trips to great destinations.
- Networking. As we grow and accumulate more years of experience, we have a national network of volunteers who are more than willing to share their knowledge and problem solving expertise. For example, one of our volunteers invented the Evergreen Hand Tool, which is being refined by another group of volunteers; this device enables a one-handed participant to tie flies! Chances are that someone somewhere has already dealt with just about any problem you might encounter, so just ask.