Be Aware of Spawning Lake Sturgeon While Fishing.
While fishing this season, please be aware of spawning sturgeon gathering in streams and tributaries of the Great Lakes, Finger Lakes and Oneida Lake. Lake sturgeon are threatened species in New York State, and intentionally targeting and possessing one is illegal. If by accident one is hooked, anglers should follow the below guidelines to properly release a sturgeon to avoid harming the fish:
- Avoid bringing the fish into the boat if possible.
- Use pliers to remove the hook; sturgeon almost always get hooked in the mouth.
- Always support the fish horizontally. Do not hold sturgeon in a vertical position by their head, gills, or tails, even for taking pictures.
- Never touch their eyes or gills.
- Minimize their time out of the water.
More information can be found in the DEC Press Release (http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/74182.html).